Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Gift

*Once again, I've used a prompt. This time, though, I am focused more on the technique: the words, the rhythm, the form. I will be doing more technique writing soon, so stay tuned, and please comment! I love getting feedback. What can I improve on? What do you like? Anything helps!*

I found this on Pinterest and the link lead nowhere. It's not mine.
He gave it to me. He, the boy I had dreamed of for years, had dreamt of me too. He, with those beautiful eyes that express so much. He, the brilliant, responsible, respected boy. The one everyone wanted. The one about whom people would always say, “I’d be proud to call him son,” or “The girl he chooses will be one mighty special girl.” When he was younger, his only sister, a twin, died. They were always together. I overheard him say they’d always be together in the spirit. He forgot no one. He never forgot a promise he’d made. Even if the person he gave the promise to had. He was perfect in every way, even in his faults.  Once, he got angry because a boy kept teasing a girl who’s mom just died. He punched the boy. No one blamed him, but he took his punishment anyway. That boy, he gave me his heart.

He gave it to me. Me, a girl no one ever noticed. The girl who found the corners and contentedly watched others, never talking to people, never attracting people, but deep down inside craving attention. Whose greatest fear was loneliness. I held myself higher than everyone else. I told myself that the reason no one liked me was because they felt they weren’t worthy of me. In reality, I was never worthy of anyone; am not worthy of anyone. My pride had gotten in the way of love. But he broke down that wall in me. I flaunted his love. I showed I was not worthy of it. I acted proudly about it. Only when I had loved in return, truly loved without selfish ambition, only then, could I be worthy of the gift. Me, the one who could never deserve him. He gave me his heart.

He gave it to me. A gift for a lifetime. A gift that could not be re-gifted. To give something insinuates it was given willingly, with no pressure, all of his own freewill. But to give a heart, ah! That means so much more! To give a heart means to give life, to give everything. A heart is something that’s only given when the giver deems the recipient worthy. People say they give their heart, but few truly mean it. It is a gift of trust. To truly give a heart away, the giver gives away everything that he is. He is willing to do anything and everything for love. He does it righteously. To give a heart means to love. And he gave it to me.

1 comment:

Hannah Kelly said...

Lovely! Just gorgeously heartwarming!